Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Andy Warhol is Missing

Andy Warhol looks a scream
Hang him on my wall
This is crazy —

I was walking up The Bowery yesterday morning, and I took this picture of a mosaic of Andy Warhol on the side of the beloved The Standard hotel:

Andy Warhol mosaic.

…and I had this whole story written in my head about how to the right of the mosaic there were these tiles that are now missing, and how Andy Warhol was not from the East Village, and how he never lived here, and how East Villagers love people from outside the East Village, and how no one from the East Village ever becomes famous… all of it true!

But then, this morning I was waking up The Bowery again…

Well, take a look:

The mosaic is gone.

The mosaic is gone!

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can take down murals of famous non-East-Village artists. There is a pestilence upon the East Village Today!

#eastvillage #andywarhol #mosaics #thebowery #thestandard

2 comments:

  1. i just want to know - how did they take down that mosaic? from your first pic, it looks like they had already taken off part of it (the missing ones that you mention)? what did they do, rappel down the side of the building? use a long ladder? or, did the tiles all just fall off and are lying on the ground in that lot?

    I-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew! It's probably hanging up in someone's apartment by now!

    ReplyDelete