Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Low Tech

As part of my series of Day Trips Outside the East Village, I ventured into the Lower East Side this past Saturday. Walking up Forsythe Street, I passed by the Mulherin art gallery.

The pictures near the window caught my eye. They were photographs of houses — nothing special, just drab houses. They looked exactly like the kind of pictures I take, so I stopped in!

It turns out they weren't photographs at all, but paintings! The show is called Low Tech, and the artist is Mike Bayne, from Canada!

As much as I liked the houses, this is the one I took a picture of:

The Enfield.

What I like most about this is the half-a-sign on the left. This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy when cropping photos: do I extend the frame to the left to bring in the rest of the sign, and shift the center leftwards, or do I Photoshop it out? In this case, I would Photoshop it out, but he left it in! Incredible!

East Villagers who appreciate the unadulterated mundane should make this day-trip to the Lower East Side! Here is a map showing how to get there from the East Village:

Directions from East Village.

The show will remain open until October 9!

#artgalleries #artists #daytrips #forsythestreet #lowtech #lowereastside #mikebayne #mulherin #painters

6 comments:

  1. that one is the best of the bunch. and, it is sold (not to me).

    I-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about buying the house pictures, but then I thought "Hey, East Village Today, why not hang up your own pictures!"

      Delete
    2. between you and me, your pictures are WAY better!

      I-)

      Delete
  2. the enfield is here https://goo.gl/maps/v7kErTkKQ8G2

    I-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it's even more mundane in wider angle!

      Delete
    2. the painting makes it look more exciting than it is.

      I-)

      Delete