Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Inside Black Seed Bagels

I was walking up First Avenue yesterday morning, when I saw the door open to the soon-to-be Black Seed Bagels. East Villagers may remember this as the once and famous DeRobertis Pasticceria.

I didn't take a picture because, even though it was an open door, I couldn't think of anything to say about it. By the time I got to work, I had thought of something, so I decided to take a picture the next time I passed. That day was today:

Inside the soon-to-be Black Seed Bagels.

Someone who was probably the construction manager asked me if I was from Eater, or some local blog. Not from Eater, I told him, but yes, I have a (very popular) blog. He said the owners didn't want pictures of their space on blogs.

I can understand why; the pictures I've seen have been pretty bad!

He was very polite, but I already had my picture and, more importantly, something to say about it, so… what could I do?

So here's what I have to say: When the news came that Black Seed Bagels was moving in, some people thought they would leave the inside as it was, that is, dilapidated. I knew then that the inside would require extensive renovation, and that little if anything would be salvaged. And besides, who wants a new bagel shop that looks like an old man's 19th-century social club?! Go to a museum!

That's why I took this picture, so I could say that… in the East Village Today!

#eastvillage #blackseedbagels #derobertis #dilapidation #firstavenue

1 comment:

  1. black seed bagels - unmasked! it's yet another scoop by EVT!

    I-)

    ReplyDelete