Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Welcome to the East Village

I crossed Avenue A at St. Mark's Place this morning when I saw this mosaic in the pavement, where I've not noticed a mosaic before:

Mosaic in the pavement.

"Welcome to the East Village". I don't know if you can see the "to the" below the "welcome", but it's there.

A mosaic like this should be over at Third Avenue, or on Houston or 14th Street, not on Avenue A. People should be welcomed at their point of arrival! Just this morning I saw a bicyclist go through a red light at 14th Street and Second Avenue, and an East Villager, who was crossing 14th Street, welcomed him!

At the bottom/left it says "Crif Dogs", which is a hotdog restaurant on St. Mark's Place. At the bottom/right it says "LES", which means "Lower East Side".

I wonder if it was put there by the Mosaic Man? East Villagers love his work!

#eastvillage #stmarksplace #avenuea #mosaics #mosaicman #crifdogs

No comments:

Post a Comment